Employment - Winter Patroller/Labourer (seasonal)
Reporting to the Roads Supervisor, this position will be primarily responsible for patrolling and plowing the Township’s roads system throughout the winter season on a 40-hour per week basis (November, 2022 to April, 2023). Candidates must be able to respond to winter weather-related call-ins within a 30-minute time frame. Must be available for fill-in requirements as weather and circumstances dictate. The incumbent will be required to patrol Township roads, operate a sidewalk blower, front end loader or heavy plow/sander when required.
The preferred candidate will have:
▪ A valid Ontario Class D or higher driver’s license with Z air brake endorsement in good
▪ 1 to 4 years’ experience operating combination snowplow/sanders on a public highway system.
▪ Experience operating front-end loaders, trackless sidewalk plow and other related heavy equipment.
▪ Experience operating a sidewalk blower/plow.
▪ Experience with other related equipment (i.e., brush chippers, chainsaws, small hand tools, etc.).
▪ Knowledge of Regulation 239/02, minimum maintenance standards for Municipal Highways.
▪ Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Highway Traffic Act.
▪ Strong ability to prioritize and organize.
▪ Knowledge of OTM Book 7 for proper setup of Traffic Control Devices would be an asset.
▪ Ability to perform labour-intensive tasks including ability to lift 50 lbs (23kg).
The hourly wage range is $21.27 to $25.02 per hour. No benefits will be offered. The incumbent will be required to supply their own safety boots (CSA approved) and winter wear.
To apply for this position, please submit a complete resume indicating education and experience, along with a current driver’s abstract by 4:00 p.m., Friday, September 30th, 2022 to:
Winter Patroller/Labourer Recruitment
Athena Piskopos, Executive Assistant /HR Coordinator
Township of Essa
5786 County Road 21
Utopia, Ontario L0M 1T0
We thank all those applicants who apply and advise that acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants who are invited for an interview. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of job selection.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, if you require this document or any additional documents in an alternative format, please contact our office at 705-424-9770. Please know that should you require any special accommodations in order to apply for a position or interview for a position with the Township of Essa, we will endeavor to make such accommodations.
Corporation of the Township of Essa
5786 Simcoe County Road 21
Utopia, Ontario L0M 1T0
Telephone: (705) 424-9917
Fax: (705) 424-2367