The Clerk's Department is responsible for the issuance of lottery licenses to eligible organizations within Essa Township. Applicants must be an eligible charitable organization or a non-profit organization with charitable purposes.
- Churches and their affiliated groups
- Service Clubs, e.g. Kiwanis, Kinsmen, Lions, Knights of Columbus, Optimist, etc.
- Schools; Nursery Schools, Elementary and High schools and various school organizations -- sports teams, bands etc. Note: Only one group will be licensed per school
- Museums and Galleries (excluding private facilities)
- Health and Special Needs Organizations; Heart & Stroke, Cancer Society, Hospital Foundations, etc.
- Youth Groups; Minor Sports Teams, Choirs, Scouts, Guides etc.
- Unions or employee groups
- Professional associations
- Political Parties or Action Groups
- Government Agencies or Bodies
- Business Associations
- Chamber of Commerce
- Social or Private Sport Clubs
- Adult recreational hobby or sporting teams
Eligibility for Lottery Licensing
Organizations must have been in operation for at least one year and demonstrated a charitable or religious mandate throughout the year in order to qualify. The courts have determined that the term "charitable" refers to organizations which provide programs for the following:
- The relief of poverty
- The advancement of education
- The advancement of religion; or
- Other charitable purposes beneficial to the community.
- Bingo events with prize boards of up to $5,500;
- Raffles with prizes of up to $50,000;
- Break Open Ticket events that are not conducted in conjunction with another event, and where the tickets are sold within the municipality;
- Bazaar gaming events; and
- Media Bingo
Checklist for Lottery Licenses
Prior to the issuance of a lottery license, the applicant must complete and submit the following documents:
- Eligibility Application (is required to be submitted annually) in conjunction with the
- Designated Members in Charge Form; and,
- Application(s) for Type of Lottery:
Please be advised that supplementary documentation is required to be submitted with each application prior to the approval of the municipality.
Lottery License Reports
Upon expiry of the lottery license, it is mandatory that applicants complete and submit the reporting requirement forms to the Clerk's Department as per the conditions laid out in the approval of the license. Future lottery licenses will not be issued if there are outstanding reports. The following reporting forms are listed below for your convenience:
- Raffle Lottery License Reporting Form (to be submitted within 30 days of the completion of the event with a complete list of the winners of the prizes)
- Break Open Ticket Lottery License Reporting Form (to be completed and submitted quarterly, with the final report being submitted within 30 days of the expiry of the license)
- Bingo Lottery License Reporting Form (to be completed and submitted after every bingo event held).
**Municipal authority to issue lottery licenses has been granted by the Order-In-Council. The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has established the policies and manuals for approvals. The Township of Essa is bound by these guidelines and procedures in determining an organization's eligibility and issuance of lottery licenses. Please visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website for further information.
If you require additional information please contact the Deputy Clerk.