Licences and Permits

Building Permits

If you're starting a new building or renovation project, you may require a building permit.  This includes projects such as the following:

Burn Permits

Burn Permits are required for outdoor fires, including all recreational fires

Development Applications

Development applications are required for certain types of projects such as commercial developments, subdivisions, and other proposed uses.  Learn how to submit a development application if you have a development proposal located in the Township of Essa.

Business Licenses

If you are looking to renew your business license, or if you are unsure if you are required to submit an application for a business license, please see our Business License page.

Facility Rental Requests

Looking to rent a facility for your event?  We offer facility rentals for a variety of occasions.

Liquor Sales Licenses

Businesses applying to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) for a new liquor sales license or changes to an existing liquor license must receive municipal clearance.

Lottery Licenses

If you are holding a lottery, then you are required to apply for a lottery license.

Marriage License

Looking to get married?  A marriage license is required for all persons getting married in the Province of Ontario.  

Road Permits

The Township of Essa issues a variety of Road Permits that are required to be obtained for the following:

  • Entrance Permits
  • Moving/Heavy Load Permits
  • Road Occupancy
  • 9-1-1 Civic Address Sign Permits

Sale of Surplus Land

The Township's Sale and Disposition of Land Policy sets out the procedure for declaring and disposing of surplus lands owned by the Township of Essa.  

Sign Permits

The Township of Essa Sign By-law requires individuals to apply for a Sign Permit when using an advertising device within the boundaries of the municipality.  Ensure that you determine which type of sign permit you are applying for.

Special Occasion Permits

If you are holding an event on property owned by the Township of Essa, such as a celebration, festival, parade, race, block party, etc., you are required to apply for a Special Occasion Permit.

Scroll to top