Council Code of Conduct>
Council Code of Conduct
Consistent with the Township of Essa's practice of demonstrating transparent, accountable and ethical governance, Council of the Township of Essa adopted a Code of Conduct for Members of Council and its Boards and Committees on December 15, 2010.
The purpose and intent of the Council Code of Conduct is to establish standards of conduct for Members of Council, Local Boards and Committee Members in the individual conduct of their official duties. These standards will help protect and maintain the Township's reputation and integrity.
Maintaining a high quality of public administration and governance can be achieved in part by encouraging high standards of conduct on the part of Township officials. The public is entitled to expect the highest standards of conduct from members that are elected or appointed to serve their local government.
A written Code of Conduct helps to ensure that the members of Council share a common basis of acceptable conduct. These standards are designed to supplement the legislative parameters within which the members must operate. They are intended to enhance public confidence that the Township of Essa's elected and appointed officials operate from the basis of integrity, justice and courtesy.
The Council Code of Conduct regulates a wide range of conduct by elected and appointed officials, such as:
- improper receipt of gifts and benefits;
- improper spending
- misuse and improper securing of confidential information;
- inappropriate use of Township property, services and other resources, including using Township facilities for campaign purposes;
- misbehaviour at Council meetings;
- mistreatment of staff;
- improper use of influence;
- discreditable behaviour towards other Councillors, staff and members of the public; and,
- failing to follow Council policies.
The Code of Conduct is administered by the Township of Essa's Clerk. It is the role of the Clerk to:
- Refer complaints to Council so that Council can arrange for an appropriate investigation of the alleged breach in conduct;
- Provide information to members as to their obligations under the Code of Conduct;
- Provide advice to individual members regarding specific situations as they relate to the Code of Conduct;
- Provide advice to members on other policies and procedures relating to the ethical behaviour of members; and
- Provide information to the Public regarding the Code of Conduct, and the obligations of members under the Code.
Council Code of Conduct - C09-2010 Consolidated
Code of Conduct Complaint Form
If you require the Council Code of Conduct Complaint form in an alternative format, please contact the Clerk's Office.