Home Fire Safety Checklist

In an effort to assist residents, the Fire Department has provided the following Home Fire and Safety Checklist:

  • Install working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. It's the law!
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms outside all sleeping areas. It's the law!
  • For extra protection, install a smoke alarm in every bedroom and a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey.
  • Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms once a month.
  • Change alarm batteries annually or whenever the low battery warning sounds.
  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing, testing, maintaining and replacing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
  • Develop a home fire escape plan and practice it with the entire family.
  • Make sure everyone knows two ways out of each room, if possible.
  • Determine who will be responsible for heling young children, older adults, or anyone else that may need assistance when escaping.
  • Choose a meeting place outside, such as a tree or lamp post, where everyone can be accounted for.
  • Call the Fire Department from outside the home, from a cell phone or a neighbour's home.
  • Once out, stay out!  Never re-enter a burning building.
  • Keep all exits in the home clear and easy to use.
  • Always stay in the kitchen when you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
  • Keep a proper fitting pot lid near the stove when cooking.  If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove.  Do NOT move the pot.
  • Wear tight-fitting or rolled-up sleeves when using the stove.  Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.  If your clothing catches fire, stop, drop to the ground and roll over and over to put the fire out.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of children.
  • Always blow out candles before leaving the room.
  • If anyone in the home smokes, smoke outside.
  • Ensure items that can burn are on metre away from space heaters.
  • Avoid overloading the electrical outlets.  Extension cords should be used only as a temporary connection.
Scroll to top